If addiction is a disease then what about the voluntary start of it?

Ok hear me out, I can kind of understand why addiction is considered a disease but to be addicted to something it had to be a time you weren't and consciously did, let's just use drugs to simplify this, while sober. We all know the horrors of drugs and yet it was time that someone was in their right mind... show more Ok hear me out, I can kind of understand why addiction is considered a disease but to be addicted to something it had to be a time you weren't and consciously did, let's just use drugs to simplify this, while sober.
We all know the horrors of drugs and yet it was time that someone was in their right mind and still choose to do the hard drugs and nothing compelled them to do so unlike when you're already addicted and can't control yourself because your body is the dependent on the drugs.
So why feel symphony for someone who once made the conscious decision to do something we all know is wrong and bad for us? Or is doing drugs in general a disease even when you start?