Is TDCJ policy in HIPAA violation?

I work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and I recently had to go to the doctor. When I brought HR my doctor's note, they said that the note needed "medical facts" (a reason for being sick). I looked up TDCJ policy PD-46 and it does require a medical fact to clear the excuse. I was always... show more I work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and I recently had to go to the doctor. When I brought HR my doctor's note, they said that the note needed "medical facts" (a reason for being sick). I looked up TDCJ policy PD-46 and it does require a medical fact to clear the excuse. I was always under the impression that asking for a reason was a HIPAA violation at other jobs I've had. I've tried looking into HIPAA, but it's pretty confusing and I don't really have time to go crazy looking deeply into it and learning all the legal language used. I'm hoping maybe someone who sees this can provide me some kind of explanation. So my question is: Is TDCJ policy PD-46 in compliance with HIPAA or is it in violation?

PD-46: https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/divisions/h...
Part C; IV; C; 1
3 answers 3