Can my stepbrother legally live with me?

My mother remarried last year. This affects me little as I'm an adult and have my own place (and before that I lived with my father, who is a much better parent than she is). My mother's new husband is a jerk, but has a lot of money from his car-selling business. He has a son, who is 17. His first wife is... show more My mother remarried last year. This affects me little as I'm an adult and have my own place (and before that I lived with my father, who is a much better parent than she is). My mother's new husband is a jerk, but has a lot of money from his car-selling business. He has a son, who is 17. His first wife is Japanese and returned to Japan long ago, but I don't know the story (anyway she's not in the picture). My fiance and I had dinner with them last Christmas. The jerk hurled many racist jokes to his own son because of his Asian mother, and my mother never meddled. I was asking the boy about school, and his father kept insulting him. He said his son has never dated anyone, and is perhaps gay, and that what he needs is a corrective rape, which can easily be taken care of (!). I gave some icy response to his sick 'joke' and since then we've never heard anything from them (what a relief). Last week I bumped into the boy doing shopping alone, and he looked unwell. Since my mom and the jerk are on hols, I invited him to our place. He's scared of everything and doesn't look like a normal highschooler.
I've talked with my fiance and thinking of keeping him temporarily with me until further arrangement is possible, but will I have legal problems from the jerk? I'm not related, and the jerk mainly abuses him verbally (in any case there is no abusive mark). So I don't think I can argue on the ground of physical abuse. What's my chance in this, actually? Thanks for answers.