Is the word daring a noun?

If so how would you use it in a sentence?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago
    Favourite answer

adjective and a noun

If using as a noun - The daring of the early suffragettes caused shockwaves through the Establishment.

If as an adjective, Their daring activities caught the public imagination.

It is also a present participle of the verb to dare - they were daring each other to break windows

(Past Progressive Tense).

• 3 years ago

Daring is an adjective.

The daring skier performed a difficult jump off the mountain.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Some confusion has been sown here. Most verbs can be converted to gerunds without changing their meaning. "His daring to interrupt the prime minister was the reason his diplomatic career failed."

However "daring" also is a noun meaning something like "risk-taking bravery." "The Slobbovian warriors were famous for their loyalty as well as their daring."

• 3 years ago

Can be used as a noun.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

it can be a gerund that acts as a noun, as in "the daring are those who make things happen, by acting when others are too afraid."

• 3 years ago

Sound like a verb to me.

Peace.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

It CAN be a noun -- a gerund.

"The reporter was amazed by the daring and innovation of the Navy Seals."

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Any word ending in "ing" is typically the noun-form of a verb. Curiously, the verb from which "-ing" words derive may itself be also a noun. For example, "hammer" is a verb in, "I will hammer the nail." It is a noun when I hit the nail with a hammer. Hammering is a noun that refers to hitting something with a hammer.

The word dare can be a noun or a verb. The word daring can be a noun or an adjective.

If you analyze English (or just about any language) too carefully you will encounter difficulties and contradictions.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.