What do you do if a Valet messes up your car?

I stayed at a Vegas hotel for 2 nights. They offered "free" complimentary Valet service. So I drove up, got the ticket and gathered my stuff, and left. Note that the guy left before I could give him a couple bucks drop off tip. This morning when I picked up my car, it looked like someone took a dirty mop... show more I stayed at a Vegas hotel for 2 nights. They offered "free" complimentary Valet service. So I drove up, got the ticket and gathered my stuff, and left. Note that the guy left before I could give him a couple bucks drop off tip.

This morning when I picked up my car, it looked like someone took a dirty mop bucket full of muddy water and dumped it all over the rear of my car. Then that muddy water dried. My car was clean when I brought it in.

I asked the attendant what happened to my car, and he said he didn t know, but that maybe some sprinklers hit my car. I did a saliva test to make sure the crud could easily be removed with water, and because there was a line of people waiting, I just left without making a stink.

But now that I m 200 miles away from the incident, I am thinking I should have talked to a manager. But what could he have done? The damage doesn t look permanant, and I could have just as well brought in a dirty car (which I didn t) - his word against mine.

In such a scenario, what would you have done? Did I have any leg to stand on? I still gave the attendant a $5 tip.

I don t like Valet because essentially you might be letting some punk 18 year old drive your car, but my logic is they move so many cars, they are probably expert at it and its a pretty safe thing to do.
8 answers 8