Thursday night (i.e. after maghrib salat) or Friday during the day is the rec0mmended time for reading it. The reward is the same, you will have a light. You should learn to read it in Arabic though and memorize it in Arabic, a task that I also have to fulfill Allah willing.
Some other recommended things to do on Friday are:
1. Salat tasbeeh
Most scholars say salatul tasbih is a sunnah and that the hadith concerning it is graded as "hasan." Some say it is weak though.
2. Reciting this durood 80 times after salatul asr: "Allahumma salih 'ala Muhammadin al-nabi al-umi wa 'alaihi wa salama tasleeman."
The reward will be 80 years of forgiveness and 80 years of worship. Most scholars say this ahadith is weak (narrated by at-Tabrani) but some say it is Hasan (good), the ones who say it is weak say it is still recommended because it is still durood and carries the reward of durood shareef such as 10 good deeds, 10 levels raised in Jannah, 10 blessings sent to you, 10 sins forgiven, etc.
3. Making dua on a special hour during friday when dua is not rejected. A hadith in Abu Dawud states that this hour is between Asr and Maghrib prayers, another hadith states it is between the two khutbahs during jummah, so you should make dua throughout the day.
4. You should not single out Friday for fasting, if you fast Friday then you should fast the day before or the day after (or both).
5. It is desirable to cut the nails on Friday.
6. For men they should wear some type of cologne and wear their best clothing to go to the masjid, and the best clothing is the white clothing. They should also have relations with the wife and then perform ghusl Friday morning (a mandatory bath according to some scholars) before Jummah prayer.These are based on two ahadith
7. Men should arrive early for Jummah prayer, the earlier the more reward one gets, the one who gets their earliest gets the most reward. this is based on one ahadith where the Prophet (s) said the first person to arrive in the masjid for jummah will get the reward of sacrificing a camel, and then the next person gets the reward of sacrificing a lesser animal, etc.
8. Muslim men should attend the congregational prayer for fajr Friday morning, I read that this is the best prayer for a Muslim based on one ahadith (or something like that).
9. Recite much durood shareef (blessings on the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w) based on a few ahadith, one states the Prophet (s) receives the blessings on Friday (for the entire week of durood you recited) and Allah puts his soul back into his body so that he returns the blessings, so he recommended reciting much durood shareef on Friday. Like Durood Ibrahim for example or the above mentioned durood.