Why do people act like my friend beating cancer is a big deal?

So, my friend got diagnosed with cancer last summer. She went through chemo therapy and she had the tumor removed a few days ago and they're gonna do radiation or something idrk nor do i care. Everyone is focused on her and how amazing her achievement is. Its not even her achievement, its the drs achievement. I... show more So, my friend got diagnosed with cancer last summer. She went through chemo therapy and she had the tumor removed a few days ago and they're gonna do radiation or something idrk nor do i care. Everyone is focused on her and how amazing her achievement is. Its not even her achievement, its the drs achievement. I don't see the big deal of all of this and dont really care. Nobody seems to care that my birthday is next week nor what they should get me for it! Instead they care more about celebrating my stupid friend. why are people acting like this is some big deal and how do i get them to focus on me and my birthday?
Update: i'm turning 18 by the way