How to better improve babies sleep?

My baby niece has recently under went a lot of change for a 7 month old. Her mom walked out on the family so I’m now raising her. I have her twenty one hours a day, as my brother (the father) works third shift and literally sleep his life away. He takes her home to spend time with her for a little under three hours... show more My baby niece has recently under went a lot of change for a 7 month old. Her mom walked out on the family so I’m now raising her. I have her twenty one hours a day, as my brother (the father) works third shift and literally sleep his life away. He takes her home to spend time with her for a little under three hours per day. Her mom has seen her for about a total of twelve hours since she left two or three months ago. They don’t seem to think this would put any stress on their child, but I’m the one paying for it. I only recently got her to the point where she will sleep six full hours a night, but when she needs to nap she fights sleep. Obviously she needs a nap, otherwise she’s bawling because she’s tired. The only way i can get her to sleep is by sitting on the floor next to her bouncer and bouncing her constantly. She’ll fall right asleep, but she cries while being asleep and if i ignore it, it eventually wakes her back up and we’re at the beginning all over again. It isn’t practical at all to have to spend her entire napping period bouncing her, as she still takes up to three a day and I have her two older siblings to tend to, plus my own child, and house work.
9 answers 9