Isn't the term ma'am usually for middle age and older people?

Suddenly two days ago several service people and a boy passing me called me "ma'am" and usually they call me Miss or don't say any title? I looked in the mirror and had wide eyes, and no wrinkles but I wasnt feeling too good that day and felt tired and horrible. Getting over a cold and my monthly... show more Suddenly two days ago several service people and a boy passing me called me "ma'am" and usually they call me Miss or don't say any title? I looked in the mirror and had wide eyes, and no wrinkles but I wasnt feeling too good that day and felt tired and horrible. Getting over a cold and my monthly coming on, I know that day I just wanted to sleep but I went out to exchange Christmas gift and a couple things. And was ma'amed out of my mind
Update: I live in Los Angeles and one was a older African American lady who waited on me in a store, She called me ma'am like 10 times during the transaction and even a middle aged lady in back of me said low "ma'am" like sure, wth
Update 2: like even the middle aged woman in back of me thought it was funny