A cashier at a store I shop at often is outgoing, but didn't say Hello or Thanks when I paid for my purchases. How to mention it to his boss?

I've had issues with the cashier before, mostly due to language .. The store is in a city where speaking both English and Spanish is a tremendous advantage. He was born in the U.S., is of Mexican heritage but prefers to speak English. As for myself, I grew up in different parts of the world, am not of Mexican... show more I've had issues with the cashier before, mostly due to language .. The store is in a city where speaking both English and Spanish is a tremendous advantage. He was born in the U.S., is of Mexican heritage but prefers to speak English.

As for myself, I grew up in different parts of the world, am not of Mexican heritage and prefer to speak Spanish, particularly if talking with someone who knows the language.

This has caused friction because I feel offended that he CAN and DOES speak Spanish with customers who prefer Spanish, but then whines like a crybaby when I address him in Spanish, saying it offends him somehow. Most of his coworkers including his manager are bilingual as well.

Trouble is that sometimes he's the only cashier and things which I buy there are much cheaper than what I would pay elsewhere, and it's much closer (about ten minutes away, rather than an hour or so) and easier for me to get to.

I've also been shopping there for about three years, often twice a week, in an average month spend about 30 - 100 dollars which on my budget is quite a bit.
Update: I see your point Valleycat, but what personal experience do you have with this situation? I feel the guy might be embarrassed at the fact my Spanish is better than his, albeit shouldn't mean " Ignore one of your best customers " or " Be a crybaby because you work at a thrift store " - both... show more I see your point Valleycat, but what personal experience do you have with this situation? I feel the guy might be embarrassed at the fact my Spanish is better than his, albeit shouldn't mean " Ignore one of your best customers " or " Be a crybaby because you work at a thrift store " - both of which I feel represent horrible etiquette in ANY language or culture.
Update 2: sats .. You're missing the point. Wouldn't you feel offended if someone who CAN speak the language you prefer suddenly pretends not to when you're in their presence? Do you have a second language at your disposal and how beneficial is it where you live?
Update 3: I don't mind speaking English with people who only speak English. That's not the case with him though !
Update 4: Do you speak another language Patricia?
Update 5: It's a matter of cost Pamela .. they often have things between 1 and 10 dollars which anywhere else would be 5 to 100+
Update 6: My dialect of Spanish is the same as his.
Update 7: saucy minx.. That cashier appears to have LOTS of bad days. That being said, how long does it take to say " hello " or " thank you " in any language to a loyal customer ? To be honest that probably upsets me more than anything I've brought up.
21 answers 21