Is this disrespectful or do I not get it?

So this story happened when school finished this year, one of the students died from alcohol poisoning days before graduation at a party, obviously this was kinda depressing even for me and I wasn't really his friend. When graduation comes around, a group of his best friends (Who where there the night he died)... show more So this story happened when school finished this year, one of the students died from alcohol poisoning days before graduation at a party, obviously this was kinda depressing even for me and I wasn't really his friend. When graduation comes around, a group of his best friends (Who where there the night he died) did a memorial for him with the school which sounds like a good idea since he was so close to graduation then these friends of his started DRINKING ALCOHOL at the damn memorial saying "Oh this is for him, this is what he would have wanted" all underage by the way, sneaking it behind the school while his mother was on stage crying that she lost her son to alcohol poisoning. Tell me this seems a little disrespectful at least?
Update: I'm asking because apparently this is the way to go about it and I got bashed by four people because I asked them if they thought it was a good idea to be drinking at a time like this?