How does an Asian immigrant get a Christian name?

My friend married an Asian woman. She has a son, and he is really smart. He wants to me an engineer, and to play soccer in collage.

His step son has a Chinese name. His step son wants a Christian style name, like all the American kids have. How can he legally get his driver license, and everything in the western alter name?

No he is not doing it to break the law. He wants a name that his future schoolmates can pronounce.

He is really cool and calls me "Uncle Robert".

A name change requires a court hearing and a small fee. They check to make sure you aren't a wanted fugitive or are trying to ditch creditors.

Chinese names are often mispronounced so an English name is preferred.

I have had Asian friends who didn't want to be looked upon as Asian but just one of the group. "I was born and raised in America, I am American not Chinese" one friend told me whose parents were both from China.

It's been a common practice since the mid-1800s- in fact, thousands of Chinese soldiers in the Union Army used English names so they are hard to identify as Chinese in muster rolls, casualty lists, etc.

My aunt is Japanese and although we knew her by her Japanese name, she had friends who called her by an English name. I had a Yui from Taiwan as a roommate but she went by Yvette.

• RICK

He legions the court for a name change, if a minor the legal guardian does it

Contact a lawyer to check individual law in your state

• Maxi

A legal name change, parents need to do that if he is a child, if he is an adult he can do it imself

Goes to court and has name legally changes.

File a petition in court for Change of Name. In some states, this is done through Family Court, but which court has jurisdiction may differ from state to state. Only a court order is valid to change name. Use court order to then change name on all documentation: driver's license, passport, bank accounts, etc.

The Chinese can do everything,not only names.

At 18 he can legally change his name to just about anything he likes.

Look up the process in your State.