I have an assignment for students that totaled 35 marks. I want it to be worth 25 of their total mark. How would I do that?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

The math can get a litle complicated if you have several assignments (or collections of assignments) to which you which to assign different weights. In the end, what matters is "25 of their total mark." You will apply the same rule to all your different assignments or collections of assignments before adding the results:

.. multiply the assignment mark by a fraction equal to its worth divided by the assignment total.

Here, that means you multiply this assignment mark by (worth)/(assignment total) = 25/35. This fraction simplifies to 5/7 ≈ 0.7143.

_____

This works whether the desired worth is more than or less than the assignment total. For example, if you have an assignment that totals 10 marks and you want it to be worth 50 of their total mark, you multiply the assignment mark by (50/10) = 5.

. . . . .

Keeping score can be a bit of an art. Not only do you want to make the computation easy and fair, but you also want to be able to answer questions about a student's standing as the term progresses. For that, you may need to keep a total of accumulated "worth" of assignments as well as accumulated (weighted) marks for each student.

• 3 years ago

Multiply their score on that assignment by

25/35 = 5/7

before adding it in.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.