I've been charged after a Lien sale of my owned Vehicle in CA?

So, about two month ago, my motorcycle was towed. At the time, I had no job, barely $20 to my name, and no possible way of retrieving my bike for the $900 dollars they were asking for (Towing, storage, plus DMV fees). I accepted my fate, and understood that my vintage motorcycle, which I had bought used, for $3000,... show more So, about two month ago, my motorcycle was towed. At the time, I had no job, barely $20 to my name, and no possible way of retrieving my bike for the $900 dollars they were asking for (Towing, storage, plus DMV fees). I accepted my fate, and understood that my vintage motorcycle, which I had bought used, for $3000, would be lost, and eventually sold at a lien sale due to my lack of funds.

Much to my suprise, today I recieved a letter in the mail from a collections agency. My bike had been liend, but I am to still pay $950 to cover the costs of the storage, since they only sold my vehicle for $600, they apparently incurred such a loss storing my motorcycle because of the space all 5 feet of it took up. Are the in the right to still charge me for this? I've been living with family while I save money for a new place, however I'm in a very delicate financial place at the moment, and If i'm forced to pay this amount all at once, I may end up homeless, since I need somewhere new to live by the end of the month. I was not informed that I would be charged any remaining fees prior to this sale.