How to set things right without being meddlesome?

I've been babysitting my goddaughter's eldest son (and then her twin toddlers) for a long time. Sadly, she passed away earlier this year after a pregnancy complication. I'm devastated and trying to help around as much as I can. Her widower (the twins' father) is broken-hearted and not coping very... show more I've been babysitting my goddaughter's eldest son (and then her twin toddlers) for a long time. Sadly, she passed away earlier this year after a pregnancy complication. I'm devastated and trying to help around as much as I can. Her widower (the twins' father) is broken-hearted and not coping very well.
Now my own daughter is expecting her first baby (in France) and I need to be with her because of some urgent matters. I don't feel good leaving the family, though. The young man is completely alone with the three kids because his in-laws - his mother-in-law is my close friend - dislike him so much (and I actually (and quietly) side with him because the dislike is simply not well-founded and wrong; it's just because he comes from a broken family).
Anyway he also said recently that it's finally better that his in-laws is staying out of the picture because they drive him crazy and only want to take the kids away. He loves them for sure, but recently he also often falls ill and is generally becoming rather scatterbrained.
Would it be wrong of me to ask my friend to check on her son-in-law despite this? I'll be away for at least 4 months (and there will be only a part-time baby-sitter). I worry that whatever I'm doing is wrong.