How would you react to having worked somewhere for 4 months or so thinking you would get paid but it turns out you were there as a volunteer?

They're going to see about paying you something, but it depends on their budget .. assistant coach is like " If we had known, could have chosen somebody definitely able to do this as an internship " (I thought it was the case for me, but kept getting conflicting messages left and right) ps: I did get... show more They're going to see about paying you something, but it depends on their budget .. assistant coach is like " If we had known, could have chosen somebody definitely able to do this as an internship " (I thought it was the case for me, but kept getting conflicting messages left and right)

ps: I did get SOME compensation but not much.
Update: I kept getting different answers Steph.. became like trying to learn two languages completely new to someone and trying to become fluent in both. Not very realistic.
Update 2: The work was easy but it involved a lot more hours than expected, there was a time I didn't get done until 3am !!
Update 3: Employer is claiming they wanted to hire someone as " work study ", for which I would indeed be paid / compensated like they'd told me. Turns out after months of being told one thing and then another, I qualified as " direct wage ", meaning that I should be paid anyway? Had they not found... show more Employer is claiming they wanted to hire someone as " work study ", for which I would indeed be paid / compensated like they'd told me. Turns out after months of being told one thing and then another, I qualified as " direct wage ", meaning that I should be paid anyway? Had they not found someone to do this as work study, they were hoping somebody would do it on a volunteer level.