Should i even consider them family anymore?

My closest family members are my mother, my half brother and half sister. Unfortunately, there is some dysfunction in our family that has caused us all to separate a bit. Also, I should point out that I live in Texas and they are all up north in Illinois, so we do have a geographical distance between us. A few... show more My closest family members are my mother, my half brother and half sister. Unfortunately, there is some dysfunction in our family that has caused us all to separate a bit. Also, I should point out that I live in Texas and they are all up north in Illinois, so we do have a geographical distance between us. A few years ago, I became quite ill with a serious disease which i will have for life. My mother doesn't call or write me at all (not on my birthday, holidays, etc.) even though in my life, i have always been the one to reach out and call her. I have complained to her about it a million times, but she just doesn't want to communicate much. My half siblings are the only true siblings i have and i have also made MANY attempts to reach out to them, but they are just like my mother and don't reciprocate the communication. I suppose in my heart, I would love to have a closer family and this is why i have tried. But now that i am ill (and alone....I live alone) their silence hurts all the more. I cannot believe that family can do this when someone is down and out! Whenever someone I know is ill (even if they are just a casual friend), I always reach out to them to see how they are doing. Even on holiday's, I am always the one to reach out to them and send them a message or call them but they NEVER initiate a message out to me to wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday. I feel so alone and wonder if i should even consider them family any longer.
3 answers 3