How do you respond to compliments that aren't actually good things?

Like for example - I've been really sick, I was throwing up for a long time and it was very hard to treat, so I ended up losing a lot of weight. (We eventually found I have a somewhat uncommon food intolerance.) Down to where I was very underweight. I'm five foot one and I went from 106lbs to 87lbs... show more Like for example - I've been really sick, I was throwing up for a long time and it was very hard to treat, so I ended up losing a lot of weight. (We eventually found I have a somewhat uncommon food intolerance.) Down to where I was very underweight. I'm five foot one and I went from 106lbs to 87lbs because I couldn't keep anything down. I almost ended up in the hospital.

I seem to get an endless stream of compliments on my weight loss, and it's really kind of disturbing, given that I went from slim and healthy to unhealthy. As such I don't feel right accepting the compliment, because I feel like I'm agreeing that skinny=healthy no matter what, even when underweight. But I don't just want to be like "that's stupid, why are you complimenting me on being sick and unhealthy?"

So how do I respond that isn't agreeing with them, but isn't being rude?
Update: While I haven't personally dealt with it, I've known other people who suffered from eating disorders, and that was one thing that contributed - the mentality that, no matter what, thinner is better. And I've had a lot of people suffer from self-esteem issues for being "fat" when they were... show more While I haven't personally dealt with it, I've known other people who suffered from eating disorders, and that was one thing that contributed - the mentality that, no matter what, thinner is better. And I've had a lot of people suffer from self-esteem issues for being "fat" when they were perfectly healthy. So I feel that by agreeing with compliments, I'm accepting a mentality that might be complimenting me, but is also used to put down and damage others.
Update 2: The thing is I didn't look like what most people think of as unhealthy. I didn't look visibly skeletal or anything (somewhat under my clothes, but not anywhere that people would see). I didn't look like most people's ideas of someone who was underweight, even though I was underweight. I even had... show more The thing is I didn't look like what most people think of as unhealthy. I didn't look visibly skeletal or anything (somewhat under my clothes, but not anywhere that people would see). I didn't look like most people's ideas of someone who was underweight, even though I was underweight. I even had a few people I did tell, say they didn't believe I was that small because I looked healthy! But I was cold and tired and sick all the time.
Update 3: I'm not blaming them for not knowing that I was ill. But I do want to push back against the idea that weight loss is always a good thing for everyone - which is an assumption a lot of people make without thinking about it.
12 answers 12