Why do some people like to make mountains out of molehills?

It makes me SO ANGRY when people do this! At work, we are trying to roll out a project, and we are trying to finetune the process. There are a couple of people who seem to like finding ways to complicate it unnecessarily. They are suggesting we add a new process to chase down itty bitty bits of information. ... show more It makes me SO ANGRY when people do this! At work, we are trying to roll out a project, and we are trying to finetune the process. There are a couple of people who seem to like finding ways to complicate it unnecessarily. They are suggesting we add a new process to chase down itty bitty bits of information. This would entail a significant effort that isn't worth it. Better to just make assumptions.

They said something to the effect of "Just because something is complicated or time consuming, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it"

I said "It DOES mean we shouldn't do it if the output is not WORTH the time and resources it will take to OBTAIN the output."

Eventually I got my way to keep the process simple, but why do people do this? Why would anyone think it is a good idea to spend countless hours chasing down unimportant pieces of information?