I m a high school teacher new to this grade level. How hard should I push the cell phone issue in this instance?

I m not sure how hard to push the phone issue in a class. I often tell all my classes to put their phones away and that I can hold onto them if they re having trouble getting off. I said it to one particular student, relatively new to my class from alternative school, and he got up in arms. It became a huge power... show more I m not sure how hard to push the phone issue in a class. I often tell all my classes to put their phones away and that I can hold onto them if they re having trouble getting off. I said it to one particular student, relatively new to my class from alternative school, and he got up in arms. It became a huge power battle and he said if I called security to take the phone he d just leave the room. He got very rude. I tried calling security but my phone wasn t working atm. I called his parent and grandma said he s run away for months now, he has emotional disturbances he takes medicine for, that the phone doesn t have data and wifi is his only connection, etc. I feel bad and don t want him to just leave class or get kicked out, but I don t want to feel powerless or for him or others to fail. His friend started keeping his phone out more too since the incident. I let a day pass where I ignored them doing no work and playing video games instead. I don t want every day to go this way but am unsure how to move forward. What do you think I should do? Admin is not supportive. My AP came into 4th period, just told me "address the cell phones" and left. I guess I could write him a referral and see if another admin will help?