I helped my ex-husband with an illness and I don't think he appreciated it, need advice?

My ex-husband recently had surgery. He needed a ride to and from the hospital and I not only did those things but got him a card and flowers and regularly text messaged him to see how he was feeling. I visited him as well. When he got home, he stated treating me really coldly and didn't seem to appreciate... show more My ex-husband recently had surgery. He needed a ride to and from the hospital and I not only did those things but got him a card and flowers and regularly text messaged him to see how he was feeling. I visited him as well. When he got home, he stated treating me really coldly and didn't seem to appreciate anything I had done. He said that I wanted credit for doing nice things but it was coming from the heart. Now I"m mad at myself for helping him.

I had an illness a few years ago and he did absolutely nothing for me. Is it best to just not help ever again?
Update: I visited him with my two grown kids in the hospital.
Update 2: Our two grown kids