Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 years ago

So much white stuff on my underwear?

After a day of wearing underwear, I get a lot of white stuff on my underwear, it is wet and smells a little. I’m only 15 and a virgin so I don’t know why this is. It’s so bad it sometimes seeks through my underwear. How can I stop this?

What you're describing is called vaginal discharge. It's completely normal, because the body produces it in order to keep the vagina moist, lubricated, clean and free from infection. Being a virgin or not doesn't have any effect on the discharge.

It's also totally normal for the discharge to be different at different parts of the menstrual cycle. Obviously, the monthly menstrual flow consists of blood, hence why it's red, and the white discharge is to keep yourself clean 'down below'. While you're ovulating, a clear, thick, slippery discharge is created, similar to raw egg white. This is in order to make it easier for sperm to potentially reach and fertilize an egg, resulting in a pregnancy.

If the discharge is causing discomfort in your underwear, I recommend that you wear a fresh pantyliner daily. A pantyliner is like a miniature version of a sanitary towel without wings which is stuck in your underwear to absorb natural discharge and trap any wetness, so that any odor won't develop. I would recommend that you try the always or bodyform ones. I find that they work well and are a decent price, especially if you can get them in discount shops like Home Bargains or B&M.

The only time it's a cause for concern and which warrants a doctor's appointment is if you experience any of the following:-

- you get much heavier discharge than normal, meaning it's soaking through a pantyliner in less than a full day

- it's clumpy, like cottage cheese (this indicates that you have a yeast infection)

- the discharge caused itching, a burning sensation (especially when urinating), redness or irritation to the genitals (this indicates a yeast infection or STD)

- it contains blood other than during your period.

- it has a foul odor (indicates an infection)

Hope this helps.

I get this a lot too it's okay

This is normal. It happens to all girls once your body is preparing itself for you to start your period. There is nothing you can do to stop it, and you don’t want to stop it. This vaginal discharge cleans your vagina and it helps your body out. I have a lot of discharge too but after a while you get used to it. Good luck!!!

It's called smegma and its the reason so many guys refuse to go down on girls. Its gross and it smells. Barf!!

I have discharge too but mine has a strong Odor and I don’t know what it is.

You can't stop it. It's called vaginal discharge. It's completely normal unless it's chunky or has a weird odor to it. Wear a panty liner.

Wear cotton panties only. Nylon often makes you wet. If you still get quite wet, try using a panty liner

Totally normal! Vaginal discharge is a good thing, your vagina does this because it is self cleaning. Don't worry, it's supposed to do that.

Vaginal discharge also changes throughout the month because of hormones. Shortly after your period, you don't really have a lot of discharge. As the month progresses, you may notice that you have more discharge.

So...you can't really stop it. I'd suggest using a panty liner, that's what I do.

Isn't being a woman great? :P

sounds like normal vaginal discharge. That is what panty liners are for. Hormones will make this wax and wane but its normal and you dont stop it.

• ask your mother.