From the perspective of someone who believes in God - Why did God give humans free will?

I am not a religious person and this is something I have always wondered. If God had a plan for humanity, then why did he give them free will. I am interested in the personal ideas of those who believe in a God, any God, not just the Christian one and also what your religion says about free will and why it was... show more I am not a religious person and this is something I have always wondered. If God had a plan for humanity, then why did he give them free will.

I am interested in the personal ideas of those who believe in a God, any God, not just the Christian one and also what your religion says about free will and why it was given to us.

As an atheist, I put forward the argument that if God created humanity for a specific purpose, then it would have been better for Gods plan that we did not have free will as having free will has allowed us to choose our own fate and thus deviate from Gods plan.

Rebuttal!