What should I do about this housing situation?

I have been a tenant at a property for the past five years. During this time I have kept to myself and not stirred things up at the household, as I am not a fan of drama. I have abided by all the rules of the lease agreement as signed by me and my landlord. In the past few years some things have come to my... show more I have been a tenant at a property for the past five years. During this time I have kept to myself and not stirred things up at the household, as I am not a fan of drama. I have abided by all the rules of the lease agreement as signed by me and my landlord. In the past few years some things have come to my attention that I have kept track of as follows:

- When I first moved into the home in 2012, my parents and I were not informed by the landlord that the premises contained asbestos within it. At the time I was a cancer patient. I didn't find out about the asbestos until 3 years later, when two non EPA certified workers was cleaning the asbestos from the basement. My landlord tried to cover it up, but I found out from the workers themselves what they were doing. I have not received a certificate saying the asbestos has been removed, and my landlord to this day has not informed me about asbestos having been on the premises.

- There are four cans of exposed lead paint sitting on the back porch of the property. The landlord has refused to remove it, and per the law in my state there are several steps to be taken to inform a tenant of exposed lead paint, of which he has done none of it.

These are the two major pressing issues, but there are many more. My question is this. If my landlord tries to jack up my rent for his property, what are the steps I can take against him legally with the knowledge I know about both the state laws and what he has put me through.