Are first time apartments hard to find?

I've been looking for a decently priced, first time apartment. I'm looking at reviews online and it seems a HUGE majority of them within my ideal price range are crappy. The owners in my area expect tenants to pay $1000 for rent and utilities/fees for old, run down apartments. A large majority of the... show more I've been looking for a decently priced, first time apartment. I'm looking at reviews online and it seems a HUGE majority of them within my ideal price range are crappy. The owners in my area expect tenants to pay $1000 for rent and utilities/fees for old, run down apartments. A large majority of the reviews talk about how old the apartments are, foundation cracking, cockroach and mice infestations, tow trucks towing tenants cars for no reason, break ins and management doing nothing about issues like water leaks, mold, ac and dishwasher not working. So I'm gonna pay you $1000 a month to live in a near crumbling down place with bugs and crime without you, the owner, doing anything about your housing being outdated and falling apart? Meanwhile the owner is probably very well off taking advantage of everyone who lives there. Literally every apartment I've looked at within that price range has reviews about infestations, crime, and careless management. I'm looking at studios and 1 bedrooms. I'm to the point that any apartment without roach infestation reviews is on my list of possibilities. Any advice? This all just seems so messed up to take so much money from tenants and do nothing on your part.
Update: I don't live in a typical high cost place like cali or any big city. I live in the south, looking at places outside the well known cities. Seems ridiculous to me that ppl ask these prices for buildings that should be condemned. I'm also paid twice the minimum wage at my jobs. I work 2 jobs that're just... show more I don't live in a typical high cost place like cali or any big city. I live in the south, looking at places outside the well known cities. Seems ridiculous to me that ppl ask these prices for buildings that should be condemned. I'm also paid twice the minimum wage at my jobs. I work 2 jobs that're just under full time hours. I wouldn't consider this a super low income for my area. Seems to me the fact is just that housing is high and jobs are low. Another job isn't an option, I have school.