How can I re-set my desktop to help avoid this sore shoulder pain?

I am able to re-configure my desktop out of [the square box] configuration that most of us are confined to using during the many-hours-long web-sessions that we use. OF COURSE my shouder gets very sore by my holding my arm in a stable position to move my nouse on the pad. - Realizing that holding my hand with the... show more I am able to re-configure my desktop out of [the square box] configuration that most of us are confined to using during the many-hours-long web-sessions that we use.
OF COURSE my shouder gets very sore by my holding my arm in a stable position to move my nouse on the pad. - Realizing that holding my hand with the wrist facing downward is unnatural - for any length of time, I am trying to change my desktop to a more User-friendly / ergonometric setup.
How can I use THE SIDE of my desk as my desk-surface with the mousepad to roll my mouse on it (sideways)? I am using an OPTICAL Mouse that uses Light instead of the mechanical ball-type mouse.

Please re. with design ideas for me to use a thumb-foreward position of my hand in aim to help my shoulder from getting so sore while I am online.

Thanks for un-marketed, un-sold in retail outlets ideas.