Russian term of endearment?

my mom told me that as a kid i had a russian pediatrician that called me mamushka which she said he told her meant "my darling." she said he called me this bc i wore a certain coat that reminded him of another little girl he knew back in russia. she's been calling me it ever since. however, i of... show more my mom told me that as a kid i had a russian pediatrician that called me mamushka which she said he told her meant "my darling." she said he called me this bc i wore a certain coat that reminded him of another little girl he knew back in russia. she's been calling me it ever since. however, i of course looked it up and mamushka is basically adding a russian-y term to "mom" and often confused for matryoshka (the russian nesting dolls). i also heard a lot of babushka, so i thought maybe that was what he called me, but that means grandmother so no.

basically i think that over the years, my mom just accidentally forgot what the word was. my darling in russian is (дорогая) dorogaya, and that's definitely not it. if it helps, i wore a little red wool coat with black trim and buttons and a matching little hat with a black rose on it. if there's a direct term for it? i'd really like to know. my niece wears it now and it's a special family thing for us now.
1 answer 1