Why do some retail customers think the store policy doesn't apply to them and then use that against you when they complain to corporate?

For example, our return policy says that you have 30 days to return any item with a receipt or else they have to get back store credit. Sometimes, customers come in months after the 30 days are up, yet they still argue that they don't want store credit. And their excuses are always the same. "Oh, I was on... show more For example, our return policy says that you have 30 days to return any item with a receipt or else they have to get back store credit. Sometimes, customers come in months after the 30 days are up, yet they still argue that they don't want store credit. And their excuses are always the same. "Oh, I was on vacation!" Or "I was sick in the hospital!" You tell them you can only give them store credit and then they demand to talk to the manager, who repeats exactly what you just told them! Which brings me to another question. Why do these people never take the cashier's word for it? I know the policy inside and out as I have almost 6 years of experience!!! Sometimes they ask me if I'm the manager. What do you think would happen if I lied and said yes?