Breaking California Lease Due To Excessive Noise?

I moved into an illegal guest room in May. My landlord incorrectly wrote the lease agreement from May 15th - November 15th (added on two extra weeks). Before I moved in, I was told that I had full use of the utilities at my leisure, however shortly after, I was approached while doing laundry and told not to do it... show more I moved into an illegal guest room in May. My landlord incorrectly wrote the lease agreement from May 15th - November 15th (added on two extra weeks). Before I moved in, I was told that I had full use of the utilities at my leisure, however shortly after, I was approached while doing laundry and told not to do it between certain hours. I was told to keep the lights off. The plugs and sockets are faulty and electronics fall out/off the wall. The wife will sometimes stand outside my window and "listen". My room is directly off of the living room and kitchen, where the 5 person family spends all of their time. They have two dogs that bark constantly and are untrained. I've asked them several times (because I work from home) if they could please try and keep the dogs quiet. They laugh and say it is "nothing." They constantly scream and shout. It is causing me to have severe anxiety and depression. I live in California. They turn the air conditioner off at night and don't set it higher than 80 during the day. I have no privacy. In addition to all of this, they overstep personal boundaries and ask invasive questions. The wife constantly belittles me and makes fun of my appearance and tattoos. They have broken the lease several times, but I'm worried how they're going to react when I give them my 30 days notice on October 1st (even though the lease is incorrect).
20 answers 20