Michigan car accident with no insurance. What now? Need advice.?

Hi guys! I have a major issue that I have to ask about. I was involved in a car accident today. I do not have insurance. My car and the other guys car were completely totaled. Neither of us were hurt though. This was entirely my fault. I slightly nodded off at the wheel for a second on the freeway and that was all... show more Hi guys!

I have a major issue that I have to ask about. I was involved in a car accident today. I do not have insurance. My car and the other guys car were completely totaled. Neither of us were hurt though. This was entirely my fault. I slightly nodded off at the wheel for a second on the freeway and that was all it took.

I am a nervous wreck. I just started a new job 2 ½ months ago and was well on my way t turning my life around. I was getting caught up on a lot of immediate, must pay bills and my car insurance bill was next in line. I am well past progressives 30 day grace period.

The cop did let me off with only a misdemeanor and a ticket. But I do have to appear in court. I fully expect to serve jail time. I really have no idea what to expect or what to do here. I have never been arrested before. I have never had a warrant out for my arrest. I am a nervous wreck and I do honestly want to have a fair punishment. But I am so worried that this is going to be a completely life changing thing and have to serve 5 or 10 years in jail. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe in paying the penalty if you commit a crime, I just do not know how to handle this and I am scared to death that my life will now be over.

Has anyone reading this dealt with an issue like this? Any idea what to expect?

Thank you in advance. I am in Michigan btw and my tags on my car were up to date.