Going to Tijuana Mexico from California for the day. Do I need a passport?

I just want to walk over and stay the day and come back the same day. About 10 years ago I could walk in and come back with only my California Drivers lic. Now I hear you must have a passport and I also hear that I only need to prove U.S. citizenship like a ID and Birth Certificate. Most everything on the internet is older info. I don't have time to apply and wait for a passport and want to go this weekend. Anyone know for sure..

• Lisa A

You need a passport, passport card, or an enhanced drivers license. CA does not offer enhanced drivers licenses. So your choices are passport, or passport card.

you need a gun + lots of ammo for the federales that will try to rob you...........si !!

You are required to have one. You might or might not get across without one, but you're not supposed to try.

• Ron

Most everything on the internet is older info. That's because your search engine sucks. There's only one site with the correct info

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/pass...

You need a passport. It's been that way for years.

• mokrie

It's another country so I would imagine you DO need a passport or you may have trouble getting out. I wouldn't take the chance. You don't want to be in a Tijuana jail. It's hell on earth. And no clue how long you would be there. Could end up years.