Going to Tijuana Mexico from California for the day. Do I need a passport?

I just want to walk over and stay the day and come back the same day. About 10 years ago I could walk in and come back with only my California Drivers lic. Now I hear you must have a passport and I also hear that I only need to prove U.S. citizenship like a ID and Birth Certificate. Most everything on the internet is older info. I don't have time to apply and wait for a passport and want to go this weekend. Anyone know for sure..

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

You need a passport, passport card, or an enhanced drivers license. CA does not offer enhanced drivers licenses. So your choices are passport, or passport card.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

you need a gun + lots of ammo for the federales that will try to rob you...........si !!

• 3 years ago

You are required to have one. You might or might not get across without one, but you're not supposed to try.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Most everything on the internet is older info. That's because your search engine sucks. There's only one site with the correct info

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/pass...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

You need a passport. It's been that way for years.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

It's another country so I would imagine you DO need a passport or you may have trouble getting out. I wouldn't take the chance. You don't want to be in a Tijuana jail. It's hell on earth. And no clue how long you would be there. Could end up years.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.