box asked in PetsDogs · 3 years ago

Tips on how to care for a puppy?

My family is getting a border collie australian shepherd mix puppy in a week. I am going to have to be the one responsible for her most of the time since I am the only one staying home over the summer and my parents are working for most of the day and my siblings are at summer camps. I have been nonstop looking up training tips on how to care for a puppy but I don't really feel prepared for her.

I am going to try to teach her simple things like sitting and potty training, things like that, but I feel like I really need extra help.

So, just simple questions, but what should I do for the first week? And is there any tips on how to train her?

You probably don't need to be this worried about getting a new puppy! As long as you aren't abusive the puppy shouldn't be a big problem. For training don't try to do too much take your time and give the puppy breaks so they don't get too tired from the mental effort. Give rewards whenever the puppy does what you want like sitting/going outside etc. I would also recommend using affection or playing as a reward and not just treats so that the puppy likes you and not just the treats but feel free to give out lots of treats too. Be careful to keep strict about certain things. For example if you don't want your puppy on the couch or eating scraps do not allow them ever or they'll keep pushing for it. A lot of things you'll have to learn as you go depending on how your dog behaves. Good luck!

Obviously the family should have done their research months perhaps years before even thinking about getting a family dog. If the family is not prepared for her then they shouldn't get her, she will be the one who will suffer the most due to the entire families negligence.

Too much for anyone to post on here regarding Basic Care* which is a daily 12-17 year commitment and does not stop when the summer is over. Dogs are not something that should be replaced once the novelty wears off, if it doesn't work out, for whatever reason, such as lifestyle and/or financial changes,and summer vacation. Any training that is done during the summer months should continue to be enforced on the as needed basis for the remainder of the dogs life.

*http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/GLLNTKNIGHT...

● "Tips on how to care for a puppy?"

Ask the VENDOR.

If they are supplying a puppy worth buying then they should supply a Diet Sheet and all the information they think you need, plus be willing to answer the phone when you discover something else you needed to know.

A good breeder will often give you a week's supply of the food that Pup is used to, so that she won't need to adjust to a new diet while anxiously trying to adjust to no longer having her dam, siblings, and familiar humans with her.

☆ The Diet Sheet my buyers find on the back of their pup's pedigree is on-line at

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/c...

Unfortunately Yahoo changed their page-width after that was posted, but by clicking the first word (Many) then scrolling down to the signature line you will be able to copy&paste everything except possibly the line-frames and the colours (ThunderBird copies those, but msWord copies only the plain text).

Nowadays, I prefer adult dogs to have 2 meals a day.

The end of that page includes much else that you probably want to know.

● "My family is getting a border collie australian shepherd mix puppy in a week."

🐕 But how OLD will she be then?

And learn the breed names WITH punctuation:

Border Collie x Australian Shepherd.

Because of the origins of the Australian Shepherd, you can expect the Border Collie attitudes & behaviours & ENERGY to be strongest. (Expect your 2 cats to become VERY pissed-off with her VERY quickly!) But her character will probably be rather "soft". MUCH will depend on the sire's & dam's genes PLUS how competent or ignorant the people are who raised her and how you & your parents manage her (1) during the first fortnight, and (2) before she reaches 13 weeks old, and (3) from 18-to-22 weeks old to adulthood.

☆ LONG before Pup reaches 18 weeks old have yourself booked in to a competent weekly training class (pet shop "classes" almost never match what's required) so that when Pup IS 18 weeks old there willbe a soace reserved for in the class so an experienced instructor can observe your attempts and how Pup does (or doesn't!) respond to them, then start coaching you on how to improve one flaw at a time.

● "I am going to have to be the one responsible for her most of the time since I am the only one staying home over the summer and my parents are working for most of the day and my siblings are at summer camps. I have been nonstop looking up training tips on how to care for a puppy but I don't really feel prepared for her. I am going to try to teach her simple things like sitting and potty training, things like that, but I feel like I really need extra help. So, just simple questions, but what should I do for the first week? And is there any tips on how to train her?"

😖 It sounds as though neither of your parents has ANY experience of raising & training a dog. Oh DEAR!

👀#1: During the first week YOU must be with her and paying attention 100% while she is awake (no tv, no computer while she is awake), for 2 reasons:

(a) To help her LIKE and TRUST you to protect her from all the big bad things in the world.

(b) To learn her timings (How long after waking? - after eating or drinking? - after playing or exercising?) does she need to go piddle-poo, and what her signal is (at 7-8 weeks old an anxious nose circling is common, but different dogs have different patterns). You then pick her up, talk cheerfully while you carry her to the designated toilet area, put her down, then stand boringly still & silent until she remembers what she wanted to do. so does it. You then INSTANTLY praise her (eg: "Good girl Bella went TOILET! Clever Bella TOILET!") and finish up with a reward. Do NOT instantly think "food". Food is useful, but must be in tiny amounts (no bigger than a garden pea) so her tummy doesn't get filled and make her uninterested in earning rewards.

Rubs (on her croup, between her front legs, at the base of her ear) are always handy and enjoyed,

Once she has learned some games (bouncing ball chase? chasing a piece of crumpled paper tied at the end of a string that you drag away from her then turn and drag past her? following a scent trail to some smelly cheese or meat? Tug-o'-War on a knotted rope or old towel?) THEY become rewards.

😛#2: Once she trusts you, give her safe&fun (in HER opinion!) experience of every movement, scent, sight, sound & texture on your safely fenced-&-gated property.

😊#3: Two weeks after the first vaccination (usually given at 8 weeks old) the next set of familiarisations will depend on your parent's assistance, unless you have a driver's licence. Drive her to places where dogs do NOT run free (to terrify wee pups), do NOT piddle-poo-vonit (to leave viruses to infect vulnerable pups), and there let her explore interesting scent trails & objects on-lead, using the leash just to keep her away from dangerous or disgusting things, and away from scared-of-dogs people.

Frankly, a WEEK isn't long enough for you to get the SPECIFIC information you want from people. You definitely need to join some e-groups dedicated to Border Collies, and 1 or 2 dedicated to Australian Shepherds.

The 2 most useful commands (choose only ONE of each type of suggestion, and ALWAYS use that phrase, so Pup doesn't get confused. But realise that the actual word or phrase isn't really important apart from it helping you remember the tone of voice and body language to use - what IS important is that you are CONSISTENT with the phrase and the tone of voice) are

😛 "COME!" or "Come on!" or "Come here". In the early days it helps to crouch down when calling it sweetly.

💀 "NO!" or "OUT!" or some word that you shout angrily when you see pup preparing to do something she is NOT allowed to do. It often helps to stamp your foot to add a bit more loudness to the shout. You then pick her up and take her away from that "thing", and play with her so she doesn't think that you are always ina grumpy mood.

Add

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

to your browser, so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. "Thanks to" Yahoo's /neo/-nut programmer, the settings have been changed from "Open" to "Restricted", so you'll need to apply to Join by sending an e-mail to

the_gsd_source-subscribe @yahoogroups.com

(WITHOUT the gap before the @ ) then following through.

To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• Jojo

I do hope you have researched both these breeds as a mix of Border Collie and Aussie is two high energy and high drive working breeds mix.

This pup is going to need more than just basic training as it matures and I suggest you and your family join a dog club that trains in advanced dog work like tracking, searching, agility etc.

This pup is not going to grow to be an adult dog that is happy with a walk round the block each day.

If the pup is just 8 weeks old when you get her then all you need to do is train her to be clean indoors and to recall to her name and possibly to sit on command and to "leave" things when told.

Training at this age should be in short bursts of 3-4 minutes and 2-3 times daily as pups this age cannot concentrate for long.

Toilet training info: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Toilet+training+...

Never use pee pads.

Basic training for puppies:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Toilet+training+...

Source(s): GSD owner for 54 years.(UK)

For the 1st week, when the dog is new in home, you should try give her as much attention as you can and not suddenly jump on training, as she would be new to your home, she would try exploring the house with her mouth so be sure remove any naked wire or cables and any sort of chocking material

At night she might cry because she would spending night in a foreign place away from her friends and family so you should be in the same room as her and give her a ticking clock as it resembles their mother's heartbeat also you might want to put her in a kettle crate for start so that she does not runs anywhere in anxiousness

Also remember that you have to wake up 2 - 3 times to give her potty breaks, at night which ruins your sleep so the thing I do with my dog is that I note the time that after how much hour my dogs poop after eating their breakfast, lunch and dinner (Not counting snacks at the evening which just one biscuit) and I give her dinner according to that and then take her to walk at the strike of midnight (Or 11 if it's school tomorrow) and she does her business out only and then I give her some heavy exercise so that she's worn out and sleeps without disturbing me, you can try this too but after the 1st week is passed

You might want to chose between a dog bed or crate and I vote for a bed inside the house and a proper dog house outside, if not possible, then crate, and be sure to sleep in the same room as hers

As for training you should have treats and toys on hands, there are 2 types of treats soft and crunchy, the soft one are generally small, bite size (no more than the size of a dog kibble) and chewy while the crunchy are generally hard and long, mostly stick or bone shaped, for training use the soft ones as reward so that the dog does not consumes time and distracts herself while eating, it should be small enough that she finishes it in one second and gulp while crunchy one will help clean her teeth apart from brushing, give her a whole or half depending on her size

You also needs variety of toys to keep her busy, as a dog, when not exercised to much, get's bored and soon destructive and since you are getting a collie/shepherd mix both of them being herding dogs and border collie as the smartest dog breed, make sure to have toys especially made for dogs such as balls, rubber disk, bones and also which are branded, again there are 2 types of toys, soft and chew, the soft ones would help training and playing with the dog, while also helping when she's bored, I suggest the brand Tuffy, while chew toys, if not only helping in teething and mouthing, also helps in passing the time, for this Kong and Nylabone are recommended

While training start with basic command and slowly, each command has a different of learning and treats are a must for this, you should teach her commands in the following order

- Sit

- Stand (On all fours)

- Stay

- Come

- Down (Sitting in a relaxed position, where it 'sleeps/sits' on it's 4 and stomach)

- Up (Standing on twos)

- Heel/Walk on leash (While walking, the dog should't wander or try to run here and there)

- Follow/Walk without leash (The dog should be trained to follow you or walk side by side without leash)

- Fetch (To fetch a thrown item)

- Catch (To catch something in air)

- Sniff (Also like fetch, except to find a hidden item)

- Roll

- Bark/Growl

While the 1st 4 are the basic and mandatory commands the rest of the commands can be thought too for teaching the dogs tricks, you can also make your own tricks if your dog is smart enough, see Border Collie 101 and you would be amazed by seeing those lovely tricks

• Lorraine
      3 years agoReport

I don't know where you've copied this from but never teach a dog to stand up on two legs... not a good idea to teach the bark / growl either IMO.

I do hope your family are ready for a mix of true working dogs. If this pup is true to either of the breeds it is mixed from then it is going to be way more than you are realising. It will be a very high energy, high metabolism dog that requires a LOT of work and training.

First of all look up Kikopup videos on youtube and learn lots and lots and lots as if the pup is true to breeds you will need hours of training a day to keep this puppy happy.

Also have a read of this as getting the exercise right is very important.

https://www.puppyculture.com/appropriate-exercise....

Be warned.. this is a usual occurrence when getting working breeds for pet homes.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170...

be prepared for lots and lots of exercise. look for turtorials online for pottytraining and basic obedience. take the puppy to training classes and socialize it. if it's 1-2 months old, you need to walk it every 1-2 hours. 3-4 months = 3-4 hours and so on. don't leave your pup alone, but don't smother it so it doesn't gain separation anxiety. and make sure to give it enough toys so it doesn't learn to chew on your stuff. an aussie mix is a working dog breed and needs lots of challenging games and exercise for it to be happy (and if it's a puppy, even more!) if you're unsure about it, id give the puppy thing more thought. maybe talk to your parents about getting a different breed or adopt one of many adult dogs in a shelter. a puppy is pretty much like a baby, be prepared of 15+ years of shedding, exercising, and caring for your pup.