Drunk driver crashes then after stop, tries to leave and goes into reverse and crashes into building. Is this 1 accident or 2 accidents.?

Drunk driver crashes into the cars while traveling away from my building. After the accident and the car comes to a stop and the driver tries to flee the accident by putting his car in reverse and traveling 1/10 of a mile backward into my building. Is that considered 1 accident or 2 accidents? If 1 accident insurance won't pay me but if 2 accidents, I can get paid since they have a max cap per accident.

Does coming to a STOP and making a new decision to go into reverse and run away count as a separate accident before crash into my building count as a separate event/accident?

• lucy

It should be 2 separate accidents, or put another way 2 occurrences. But, you state (cars) which is multiple, so how many cars did the drunk hit?

Even if by some chance they count it as one, either way, insurance can only pay the max of coverage that the drunk bought. So everyone gets paid, but it is pro rated that the worst/most damages gets more and the least amount of damages gets paid less, but no one gets 100%, but could end up with 50%, 33% etc.

My suggestion is to file a claim with your insurance company if you have collision coverage and let your insurance go after the drunks insurance for reimbursement.

2 accidents. 2 possible deductibles.

If you were involved notify your insurance ASAP.

• Scott

2 collisions.

• Dan B

The police would consider it as ONE incident if in the same immediate vicinity. If down the street a mile or two, it would be two incidents. But that's my opinion. The insurance company will do all they can to limit payout, so expect them to say ONE incident.

Looks like two accidents to me. Sue the driver and let him worry about his insurance.

At least two. Ask your attorney.