Can I sue the wealthy mother of a person who owes me money?

I lent money to a friend of mine (who is an accountant) that was going through a divorce less than a year ago. The money was a copious amount that I had set aside for my own personal "rainy" days and the loan was supposed to be repaid within a month (as my friend at the time had promised me that he was... show more I lent money to a friend of mine (who is an accountant) that was going through a divorce less than a year ago. The money was a copious amount that I had set aside for my own personal "rainy" days and the loan was supposed to be repaid within a month (as my friend at the time had promised me that he was waiting on a large payment to be made his way via a client at his accounting business). He was also supposed to have filed my taxes and and failed to do so. To top it off he has been giving me continuous excuses as to why he hasn't been able to repay my loan despite the fact that he was originally supposed to pay me back within a month and now it's been nearly a year. I am currently going through some financial hardships and despite that he's not doing anything about it. When I lent him the money I did wire transfer it to him with an attached memo in the Etransfer stating that the moeny is a loan to be repaid by end of June, 2016 (as originally promised) and that by accepting the money he accepts these terms. So I believe with the paper trail of there being an etransfer and the memo attached to it indicating the terms of the loan I can legally take him to court to get my money back. However, in the last year with his divorce and other legal problems he has created for himself his accounting business has been decommissioned, and is now living with his mother. Since he's the heir to her wealth can I just sue the mother in his place since she actually has money?
Update: For the record this is not over some selfish urge to get money, this was money that I have long worked hard for an saved for a rainy day and since I'm in a situation that has caused me financial hardship I need to get this money back whichever way possible.
Update 2: Another piece I forgot to add is that this friend of mine who is going through a divorce because of the fact that he physically his wife (and put her in the hospital), which is something he hid from me when he was telling me about his initial divorce. He's trying to claim that he suffers from bipolar disorder... show more Another piece I forgot to add is that this friend of mine who is going through a divorce because of the fact that he physically his wife (and put her in the hospital), which is something he hid from me when he was telling me about his initial divorce. He's trying to claim that he suffers from bipolar disorder (which by definition makes him mentally ill) so as to not be held accountable for assaulting his (soon to be) ex-wife. So he would technically be a woman housing her mentally ill son.