Heck asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 years ago

Why is my weight staying the same while my family is losing it?

My family and I started a diet over a month and a half ago. I was about 170lbs when we started, I said my goal weight was to be 140lbs, and we cut out all the unhealthy stuff. We stopped eating potatoes, no starch, we don't eat anything with flour in it, just wheat, we eat lots of fruits and vegetables, were drinking a lot more water, I've started participating in PE with running and stretching. I walk to school and from school every day, about a 40 minute walk each way. I'm a 15 y/o girl and I'm almost 5' 7". After this diet I've weighed myself once a week, sometimes I skip a week, but I've not lost any weight. I'm actually weighing 171-172lbs now. What could be the reason I'm not losing anything?

how much do you eat? maybe you overeat? or you dont exercise enough

• Alpha

First of all, eating healthy such as fruits and vegetables does not help you lose weight if you are eating too much of it. You can get fat eating too much of anything because it is not whether the food is healthy or not, but how much calories you consumed.

The only way you lose body fat is when you burn off more calories than you consume each day. Calorie is a measure of how much energy in a food. When you consume more than you use, the leftover (excess) is converted to body fat when you sleep. When you burn more than you consume, your body converts body fat to fuel so you lose body fat.

You need to find out how much calories you are actually consuming in a day and compared that to 2 things: how much calories you burn from exercising and how much from your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).

BMR is how much calories your body burns just from keeping you alive excluding that which you burn from exercising. It takes energy to keep your heart pumping, body temperature constant, lunges breathing, etc. The amount your body burns in a day doing all that is your BMR. You can find out your BMR by using a BMR calculator online - just do a search on "BMR calculator".

Using your BMR and how much you burn from exercise (let's call it E-total), for days when you do exercise, your total calorie burn is BMR + E-total. Whatever is that sum, you want to consume less than that by 300 to 400 calories. So if the total was 2300 calories, you want to eat around 1900 to 2000 calories.

If you did not exercise, then you just have to be 300 to 400 calories below your BMR. Let's say it's BMR=2000, then your calorie consumption must be around 1600 to 1700 calories.

Because every body is different

• Par 4

Because you are on a "fad diet" that is counterproductive to your goals. You want to lose weight, yet you cut out potatoes, that makes absolutely no sense to me. You are just starving yourself when you eat just vegetables and bread, and when you starve yourself your body hangs onto EVERYTHING that you put into it, meaning when you do go to drink a simple soda can, it's more like you're drinking three sodas because your body is trying to make nutrients out of sugar and syrup. Even if you don't drink soda, my example still stands.

If you really want to lose weight, I suggest Googling up health and fitness sites and disregard "fad diets" such as "eat only this, or don't eat that"