I've lost 10 lbs in less than 3 weeks.. I could have done it quicker, but it took me that long to figure out a few things.. You don't say how overweight you are, and that has a lot to do with weight loss. If you have only 5 lbs to lose, then it takes longer to lose than if you have 50 lbs or so (I had 20 lbs - so I am half way there in under 3 weeks). This method will work:
1) no more sugar or foods that contain sugar. This may sound impossible, but the truth is, it is easy! It takes only 3 days of a sugar free diet for you to no longer crave it.. the more sugar you eat, the more you crave it. Stop eating it, and you stop the craving very quickly, because sugar is addictive. Also, a big help is Stevia. Stevia is an herb that you can buy at the health food store - it has been used for thousands of years, with no side effects. It is an all natural sweetener. It can be used to sweeten tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit, smoothies - it can't be used to replace sugar in recipes like cake - because sugar in those recipes take up a lot of space in the recipe.. whereas you use very little stevia. If you buy this, it is expensive - a small bottle for $10 BUT, you use such a small amount that the bottle will last a long time - at least a month, and for me, it is worth the cost. Do not use artificial sweeteners - they increase your appetite, and you end up heavier plus they are just very unhealthy and can cause side effects. They are nothing but chemicals that your body does not need, or know what to do with.
2) severely cut back on grain products (bread, pasta, rice, cereals). If you have a normal body weight, grains are okay, but they are all carbohydrates, JUST LIKE SUGAR to your body.. grains ARE sugar to your body, and eating them stops you from losing weight and is probably the reason you are overweight. You don't have to give them up entirely or forever - but you do, if you want to lose weight. If you eat any grains, eat oatmeal (not instant with added sugar, but the REAL oatmeal that you cook on the stove). Brown rice is also a whole grain, and if you feel you need grain (it isn't necessary to the body at all), then stick to 1/2 cup serving.. avoid all bread, white flour, white rice, pasta, processed breakfast cereals.. you can eat these later, once you lose the weight, if you choose to..
3) alcohol is also sugar to the body - avoid it entirely and all fruit juice (fruit is healthy, but when you take out the fiber, and make juice, basically all you have left is water and sugar - juice is as bad for you as drinking a soda)
4) read labels and look for hidden sugars! For example, if you have oatmeal for breakfast with 1 cup of milk, that milk has 11 grams of sugar in it! Better would be unsweetened almond milk with zero sugar. Same goes with yogurt - you can buy plain yogurt and sweeten it with stevia or fruit, but don't buy the sweetened yogurt.
5) stay away from processed foods as much as you can - they are just loaded with JUNK and are too high in sugar, salt, fat.. our bodies don't need crap, they need good healthy nutritious food that is high in vitamins and minerals. If you give your body what it needs, the cravings stop automatically. Seriously - I can look at a chocolate brownie now, and feel absolutely no desire to eat it.. I don't feel deprived at all..
So, what can you eat? There is so much you can eat - fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, dairy, meat, eggs, oatmeal, sweet potatoes..
Here's a sample menu:
Breakfast #1 two scrambled eggs; an orange, and 3 walnuts. You will cover all the basis with this - the eggs are a complete protein, and contain healthy fats. They are good for your eyesight. The orange has fiber and carbohydrates, has vitamin C (which you must eat, since we can't make it), and the walnuts are a healthy source of omega 6 - lots of arguements that we get too many omega 6's, but that is the unhealthy kind - walnuts are brain food. The fat in walnuts is used throughout the body for many functions. Eating 3 in the morning, and then 3 in the afternoon, will ensure you get enough omega 6 in your diet. Google 'nuts and weight loss' and you will find that the thinnest people eat nuts regulary - nuts turn off the appetite switch in the brain.
Breakfast #2 - oatmeal, fruit, almond milk - this is really filling
Breakfast #3 - cheese or meat, and a fruit smoothie - whole fruit that you put in the blender with plain yogurt
Don't have the same breakfast every day - switch it up and find out which one makes you feel good and full all morning.
Lunch and dinner options:
some kind of protein (beans, beef, chicken, fish) with LOTS of veggies (there are so many options here - don't stick to a big salad that you always eat - try new things! Steamed asparagus, broccoli with lemon and butter sauce, snow peas with pineapple chunks, California salad, spinach salad, coleslaw, beans, baked tomatoes with cheese!! Go on any vegan website - they eat veggies, and you will find a ton of veggie recipes!). Fruit for dessert.
If you follow this guideline, you will be amazed at how good you feel, and how fast you lose the weight.