Is it bad if you leave your landline off the hook if you do not want to be disturbed?

I know not everyone has landlines anymore, but let's face it. Those of us who live in areas where coverage is spotty it's our only option for a reliable phone when at home. I know allot of people would take there phone off the hook when they didn't wanna be disturbed by annoying callers. And the caller... show more I know not everyone has landlines anymore, but let's face it. Those of us who live in areas where coverage is spotty it's our only option for a reliable phone when at home. I know allot of people would take there phone off the hook when they didn't wanna be disturbed by annoying callers. And the caller would get the ever infuriating busy signal. But I also have heard some people say that puts a short in your line. Is this true? And would someone have to come out to "reenable" the line?. I only ask because once in a while I will take mine off the hook but ever since I read someone say it can put a short in the line or it will just time out and not work after an hour, and require a repair man to re activate it, I have been reluctant to do so ever since.