My cat has stopped grooming herself?

shes about 17 years old. She s been walking, eating, drinking and pooping normally, the only issue is that she s stopped grooming herself and is starting to smell a bit. i brush her as much as I can, but she has developed mats around her butt and she doesn t let me get near them with a brush. what should i do?... show more shes about 17 years old. She s been walking, eating, drinking and pooping normally, the only issue is that she s stopped grooming herself and is starting to smell a bit.

i brush her as much as I can, but she has developed mats around her butt and she doesn t let me get near them with a brush.

what should i do? can i cut the matted fur away? should i begin bathing her myself? any advice would really help!

I m also not in the best financial situation right now, so if I can avoid going to the vet or taking her to a groomer, that would be ideal.

thanks!!