Our new 11 month old cat is barely eating but drinking lots of water.?

We just got a new cat this past Sunday and he hasn't really eaten anything. At first we thought it was because he was too shaken up about being in a new place, but now I'm not so sure. We had to take him to the vet yesterday to get shaved and have severe mats removed from his fur. He was sedated to have it... show more We just got a new cat this past Sunday and he hasn't really eaten anything. At first we thought it was because he was too shaken up about being in a new place, but now I'm not so sure. We had to take him to the vet yesterday to get shaved and have severe mats removed from his fur. He was sedated to have it done. Now all he will do is drink tons of water and sniff his food. Last night he was messing with the bag of cat food and when I went to pour him some he was meowing like crazy and ran to his bowl. But all he did was smell it. I have tried dry food and canned food. He will just take a few bites and that's it. And since his shave it is apparent that he is very underweight. But the vet never said anything about it. We are going to call the vet today but I just want to know if anybody would have any idea what it could be. Do I just have a picky eater?