Declawing cats question?

I live with my best friend & her family. Our mutual friend was selling kittens & my friend convinced her parents to let us get the kitten. I didn't even think about this at first until they met the kitten & started talking about making appointments for him to get neutered & declawed. The... show more I live with my best friend & her family. Our mutual friend was selling kittens & my friend convinced her parents to let us get the kitten. I didn't even think about this at first until they met the kitten & started talking about making appointments for him to get neutered & declawed. The neutering I'm okay with. The declawing I'm TOTALLY against! Now I'm kind of in a bad situation because we can't just give the kitten back, & if I would have known that they wanted to do that I wouldn't have even suggested the idea of getting the kitten. I think it's a totally inhumane process that most people aren't educated about. They think its as simple as just removing the claws from the cat but i think if they actually did their research they would agree with me that its a terrible thing to do! They literally cut the tips of their toes off, its extremely painful for them & has absolutely no benefits for cats whatsoever. It also can completely change a cats personality, cause them to resort to biting since they no longer have their claws, cause them to not use their litter box because the litter can irritate & cause more pain to their freshly cut toes, & even more. They cut down to the last bone in the toes. For a human, that would be like cutting each finger off at the last knuckle. If anything, I would prefer for them to get the cat caps, which are little caps you glue on their claws and replace every 6 weeks. I haven't said anything yet, but I cannot let this happen. What should I do?
23 answers 23