Promoted
Hello asked in SportsCycling · 3 years ago

Is a Gel Bike Seat worth it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Geezer
    Lv 5
    3 years ago

You don't have to spend too much ---in blueskycycling.com the SELLE ROYAL Ergogel Plugin was 60 bucks--but on sale now its a mere 17 bucks!!! That's quite a steal dude---

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

A soft seat is a big plus on a bike invest in one

It's worth it.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

No.

Sitting on a saddle you need to be sitting on your bones. (Feel round there, yup, thats them)

A firm saddle is best for this and considerably more comfortable by being supportive, that a soft squidgy saddle.

You would think it the other way around as 99% of seats you sit in are designed to be soft and comfy, Saddles arent that type and the emphasis here is firm, because firm suppports your skeletal frame and muscles in the act of peddling.

I should further add that a soft saddle pushes your flesh out of the way to get to your bum bones. Its gravity doing its work. On a soft chair youre spread across it, so your weight is distributed. A saddle is small and designed to support the bones, not the flab surrounding it.

Source(s): Years spent sitting on my 4r5e.
  • John M
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

In the short term it may help but once you get use to the saddle and start ridding longer it can cause numbness by pinching off nerves and blood vessels. Then you want to switch back to a firmer saddle.

Make sure your saddle is at the correct height so your legs can help support your weight. Your leg should be straight with the heel of your foot over the center of the pedal. That will give you a slight bend in the knee with the ball of your foot in the same place.

I would go with cycling shorts instead you can wear them under clothing and the compression also helps blood flow back from your legs. They are also a lot cooler in hot weather.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Tried two different styles of gel seats both were terrible. Both tore up rather quickly.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
  • 3 years ago

As a general rule, nope. Tell me what kind of bike you have & I'll point you in the direction of a comfortable saddle. But as pointed out, you never told us that.

You want a saddle with as little padding as possible. Again, as pointed out, a bike with a more upright sitting position will require a wider saddle. You might also want to look for one with a center cut-out relief section. I use this one on my Diamondback Insight hybrid bike. https://www.serfas.com/products/view/852/referer:p...

• Hello3 years agoReport

Thanks, I have a hybrid too

• 3 years ago

Capital N. Capital O. NO! Two analogies...

A) Ever walk barefoot through wet sand for long periods of time? Feels good at first all soft & squishy under your feet & toes. Now walk several miles through wet sand. Not so good anymore is it? There's NO support where support is needed. You don't have any arch support for your foot.

B) Gel bike saddles are like a stream of water flowing down a creek or river. It'll take the path of least resistance. Your "sit bones" being that huge rock in the middle of the stream. All that gel simply flows around it & TO AREAS NEEDING NO SUPPORT. Those areas are nerve endings, blood vessels & of course your "private parts". Not so comfy anymore.

Also, you NEVER stated what type of bike you have. With a road bike or MTB the rider is leaning over distributing weight more evenly throughout the hands, arms, feet and lastly the butt. With a hybrid, the rider is in a slightly more upright position. With a comfort bike or beach cruiser, the rider is sitting almost fully upright. The last two bikes (comfort and beach cruiser) are NOT designed to travel long distances as with the others. They're designed for slow, short trips around the neighborhood & that's all.

Everyone has to go through what's commonly called "butt training". You're using muscles seldom (if ever) used before. I would highly suggest seeing a LBS (local bike shop) WITH your bike. Describe to the salesperson what's going on. Lastly...from the late cycling guru Sheldon Brown, read this - read ALL OF IT.

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

• 3 years ago

In general, although a gel saddle may seem more comfortable at first, for long rides a firmer saddle is best. The soft gel allows your sit bones to sink too deeply into the padding and will put pressure on soft tissue which can cut blood circulation and lead to discomfort and numbness

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

it is slightly more comfortable than a traditional seat

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.