Christianity - loving your enemies?

I really struggle with this verse - love your enemies, bless those that curse you - do good to those who hate you and who spitefully use you. - are there really people today who practice this? I struggle with this verse because it basically tells people to just be a door mat and let people abuse them. I... show more I really struggle with this verse - love your enemies, bless those that curse you - do good to those who hate you and who spitefully use you. - are there really people today who practice this? I struggle with this verse because it basically tells people to just be a door mat and let people abuse them. I struggle with this because in many ways this might put a person into more danger as if a person has abused them in the past they are likely to do it again. I struggle with this because this is like rewarding bad behavior? I struggle with this because why should I even think about those people that hate me - why should a person who hates me and who wants to kill me get any of my time or energy or money or prayer or even a thought? why should they get anything? If someone has already harmed me why should I give them a chance to harm me again. So the guy who is sitting in jail right now for robbing me - I should just find a way to do good to him? why? what about the people who have tried to practice this but now they are dead? what good did this do? I have really struggled with this verse for a long time. In many ways I really want the people who have harmed me to be punished for what they have done and I want them to suffer like I've had to suffer. I want to be a person that loves my enemies but that is something I really find that I have not done that very well. I don't wish to harm anyone, but I have certainly withdrawn from these people.
14 answers 14