Are rural areas really safer?

I live in a small American city in the state of Washington. It is apparently considered a very ghetto city (even though I don t see it because at least where I live, very little crime happens.) Especially by some friends I have who live in a neighboring rural town. Barely ever is there a day where we hang out and... show more I live in a small American city in the state of Washington. It is apparently considered a very ghetto city (even though I don t see it because at least where I live, very little crime happens.) Especially by some friends I have who live in a neighboring rural town. Barely ever is there a day where we hang out and they don t comment saying I live in a crime ridden ghetto. Then again, they can t even stand small towns. They needless to say cringed last summer when I told them I was vacationing to New York. They just love the middle of nowhere one reason being the lack of crime. However, I do wonder judging from the fact that fatal car crashes occur in this rural town a lot if it s really any safer. Also from the fact that many of the Western states (aside from the coastal ones) are very rural and suicide rates are well above the national average. Really though, are rural areas actually safer or is it just an illusion from the fact that much fewer people live in those areas? (Obviously)
8 answers 8