Why does the animal shelter need to intrude into the?

personal life of a potential suitor? There's a dog who has been at the shelter for six years and so they shelter went to Sky news to appeal for someone who meets pages and pages of criteria to house the dog. The member of staff was saying that the new owner would need to not have young children, not have... show more personal life of a potential suitor?

There's a dog who has been at the shelter for six years and so they shelter went to Sky news to appeal for someone who meets pages and pages of criteria to house the dog.

The member of staff was saying that the new owner would need to not have young children, not have cats, if they have a dog already it has to be a certain type of dog, they need to have a "suitable" home life whatever that is, etc etc.

When she was finished talking I thought to myself no wonder the dog hasn't been rehoused yet!

What is it to them where the dog goes? I thought they wanted the dog off their hands so that they don't have to keep paying to look after it?