Is there such thing as nothing?

Does nothing really exist if nothing is also something.

Say for example someone asks me what I'm doing and I reply with "nothing", but technically I am doing something and that something is nothing?!?

Is there such thing as nothing?

Does nothing really exist if nothing is also something. Say for example someone asks me what I'm doing and I reply with "nothing", but technically I am doing something and that something is nothing?!?

~~~ If you take the time to specify 'not anything' in place of the poor and meaningless term 'nothing', much confusion can be eliminated!

Other than as a 'word', there is no no'thing' that exists in a Reality in which every'thing' exists!

If it is not perceived, it doesn't exist!

• Kaede
      4 years agoReport

Good answer. Many people use the word "nothing" correctly in everyday language, but completely forget its meaning when it comes to philosophy.

• small

There is no such thing as nothing..... nothing does not 'exist' because anything that exists ought to have potential to impact and get impacted by something else....... I use this definition for existence because this can take into account thoughts too as 'something' even though we have no clue to their place in the physical world.........

"Nothing" is merely a concept to indicate absence of something.

Yes of course there is such a thing as nothing.

I've got plenty of it.

Do you want some?

You might read Hawkings' and Mlodinow's "A Briefer History of Time," as it gives the current explanation: before anything, there was a balanced Energy; a particular random quantum fluctuation, like a butterfly's flight leading to a storm, allowed the singularity called the "big bang." So, there's never been no thing, as even "empty space" has virtual light that is needed to keep atoms' orbitals "alive." Related: "Light Is a Living Spirit," "The Answer You're Looking for Is inside You," "Beams from Meher Baba."

"Nothing" only exists as a abstract category of dualistic thought in the mind as 'the absence of something'. Something is all there ever is! Just as energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, only made to change form, which suggest that existence is eternal and uncaused, without beginning and end. 'Nothing' is only used out of linguistic convenience, and cannot logically be a possibility. Even if it could be, it would be a contradiction terms and negate itself, which would be a fallacy. You can 'possess wealth', but you cannot 'have poverty.' 'Negation' is not inherent to the universe at all. All that exists is the 'affirmative'.

In regards to the universe I believe nothing can exist, before the bing bang there was "nothingness"

In regards to what you're saying, obviously you're always doing something lol that's common sense .,.breathing for example. That something isn't nothing, you can't do something and nothing at the same time, you're always doing something

Nothing is not also something. What type of logic is that?

• Anita4 years agoReport

If there was nothing, before the big bang, what caused the bang?

Good philisophical question. I think no there is no such thing as nothing in most cases.

• Who

dotn know

Our whole concept of "something" requires space and time for it to exist

So our concept of nothing is the absence of both of these

i.e "nothing" = "no time" + "no space"

But is it possible there could be some king of existence that dont require either?

I have no idea - I have no concept of how there could be such an existence. But that dont prove there cant be one

Our science and scientific laws would be irrelevant in proving there cant be one- cos they are based on a kind of existence that requires both "time" and "space"

there is something left "jason" - there is the space that now fills the bottle

• miffy

"Nothing" is a mathematical or philosophical concept and not a physical entity (or non-entity). As such it does exist but only in people's brains.

Yes. Everything is nothing. If you think about it, there is nothing in this world. Our brains don't have the capacity to analyze and grasp some "things," because they are in a higher state than a physical component of life.

We are not able to use our five senses of hearing, sight, etc in order to understand the spiritual aspect of life, that's why we say somethings are nothing and they don't in fact exist and they are "nothing."