Question about telling jokes around people?

several years ago I tried doing stand up comedy and I wrote a large number of jokes. I still write new jokes and I try my jokes out on other people to see what their response is. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. One of the problems is that people don't really know when what I'm saying is... show more several years ago I tried doing stand up comedy and I wrote a large number of jokes. I still write new jokes and I try my jokes out on other people to see what their response is. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. One of the problems is that people don't really know when what I'm saying is a joke or whether what I'm saying is true or not. There are a number of my jokes that are clearly not true about me. They are jokes that I've written - that's all they are. But I think by telling these jokes that I've caused some people to think poorly of me and that isn't what I want really. I'm really not to the point where I don't care about what people think of me, and I think that's where you need to be in order to be a good comic. Sometimes my jokes do pretty well, but I have a very dry sense of humor that some people just don't get - I know that the joke failed when I have to explain to them that it was a joke ... and I've had to do that a number of times. I don't do my jokes at other people's expense, but often at my own expense. I guess I don't want people thinking things about me that aren't true. So, I'm thinking of quitting with the humor but humor is really what helps me get through my day a lot of the time. I really do believe that if it weren't for my dark sense of humor that I probably wouldn't be alive. maybe I should just keep it to myself?
4 answers 4