How to dress appropriately in the gym?

Tight shorts, tank tops or loose but flashy clothes can perfectly constitute your gym etiquette. But, as the experts say, while the clothes don’t necessarily make the workout, the right apparel can definitely enhance your exercise experience and help you to avoid any unwanted attention.

That’s why today we are asking which clothing provides appropriate coverage and the right fit to allow you to exercise with confidence and ease.

http://yahooanswers.tumblr.com/post/139483932707/h...

266 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'll speak for the tall guy. And when I say tall I mean 6'2"+ (I'm 6'5" myself). Shorts are an absolute must. You'll be hard pressed to find affordable long inseam sweats especially if your really serious about your workout game, whether it be lifting weights or doing cardio. Plus you don't want to be hotter with lack of air hitting your skin due to pants. I myself try to have at least 10-15 pairs available so I don't have to wear the same sweaty ones twice before laundry day.

Regular ol' shirt will do. Nothing fancy, nothing stylish. Your in the gym to hit goals. You impress people with your fitness not your style. Leave that for after the workout session. Go for the short sleeved shirt or the tanktop if you think you can pull it off. Your preference though for bigger armed men, go for the tanktop. Don't got to worry about tight fitting clothes the bigger you get. Of course make sure they're ALWAYS clean. If you go hard at the gym, don't wear the same shirt twice. It probably smells and it's not good to wear dirty clothes anyway.

Shoes probably the only thing you spend more than $30 for. Get something that will be comfortable ALL period that your in the gym. There's nothing worse than damaged feet due to uncomfortably. You can't avoid spending at least a couple big bucks on quality feet loving shoes, but it's worth it and far better than breaking your ankles over ill fitted shoes. Roshis I actually wouldn't consider if your doing squats or running. There are plenty of New Balances for the gym that would be good though.

• 4 years ago

I'll speak for the tall guy. And when I say tall I mean 6'2"+ (I'm 6'5" myself). Shorts are an absolute must. You'll be hard pressed to find affordable long inseam sweats especially if your really serious about your workout game, whether it be lifting weights or doing cardio. Plus you don't want to be hotter with lack of air hitting your skin due to pants. I myself try to have at least 10-15 pairs available so I don't have to wear the same sweaty ones twice before laundry day.

Regular ol' shirt will do. Nothing fancy, nothing stylish. Your in the gym to hit goals. You impress people with your fitness not your style. Leave that for after the workout session. Go for the short sleeved shirt or the tanktop if you think you can pull it off. Your preference though for bigger armed men, go for the tanktop. Don't got to worry about tight fitting clothes the bigger you get. Of course make sure they're ALWAYS clean. If you go hard at the gym, don't wear the same shirt twice. It probably smells and it's not good to wear dirty clothes anyway.

Shoes probably the only thing you spend more than $30 for. Get something that will be comfortable ALL period that your in the gym. There's nothing worse than damaged feet due to uncomfortably. You can't avoid spending at least a couple big bucks on quality feet loving shoes, but it's worth it and far better than breaking your ankles over ill fitted shoes. Roshis I actually wouldn't consider if your doing squats or running. There are plenty of New Balances for the gym that would be good though.

• I have spent a lot of time working around the world, and personally - while they are more difficult to find, I prefer the clothing free coed gyms.

A great deal of the time, women seem to treat the gym as a fashion show, which I find more distracting than if a woman was to be walking around in the buff. You have to be 18 to get into most gyms as it is, and we're all mature adults and have seen boobs and butts and genitals on the internet, so having a few less distractions at the gym and more opportunity to focus on the workout is so much more amenable.

Without the clothes, it's more relaxed, and since everyone carries a towel, people tend to clean up the equipment more, and generally speaking I don't have to deal with the fragrances and sweat on equipment where I would in gyms where clothes are required as people tend to be more careful to cover the equipment and wipe it down after they use it.

AS an adult, let's face it, I'd rather just zone out and put in my ipod than be distracted by the horrible crap people try to fit themselves into clothing wise at the gym, so removing it altogether as a distraction makes it so much easier to work out.

They're harder to find, but increasing in popularity especially in Europe and Asia. America's usually a couple years behind the times with modern trends anyways, so it will take some time to reach here.

• mark3 years agoReport

Males - Have to be careful not to get your privates stuck between two weight plates on a machine....!

• 4 years ago

Personally, I know that I get my best workouts when I feel best about myself. I'm more of a run-outside alone type of gal so normally I don't have to consider what other people are thinking about what I am wearing and maybe it is better that way. You should go to the gym in clothes that make you feel ready to pump your iron or sprint or whatever it is that you are there to do. Gym time is supposed to be time for yourself so don't let other people's opinions into your mental space even on something trivial like "what should I wear?"

Maybe try out a couple of different options at your house and wear whatever makes you feel like you own the world. Maybe the shorts and long-sleeve isn't doing it for you today but it was really floating the boat yesterday:) And that is totally fine! You're allowed to change your mind about what you are clothing your body in when you go to the gym!

From a more realistic side, you have to consider that whatever you wear may be tainted by sweat and good running shoes (if running is your thing) is important to prevent injury!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Unless you go to an Islamic or Mormon gym, there is no "appropriately" dressing. You want to know how to dress appropriately? Look at what everyone else is wearing. The average is what is appropriate for your culture for how you dress at the gym. How you dress depends on your culture. If you're going to a gym in Saudi Arabia, it's going to be a lot different than a gym in Seattle.

• 4 years ago

Avoid any clothing that could potentially damage the gym equipment or cause other harm. So no metal zippers or other hardware, nothing sharp, rough, or jagged, no shoes with hooks instead of eyelets, and so on.

Sweat damages the vinyl seats, benches, and other supports as well as being just plain yucky for others to deal with. No matter how much you bring a towel and wipe down the equipment, it's more courteous to cover your sweaty skin with clothes than to leave puddles of perspiration.

And that towel is a MUST, no matter what you wear. Put the towel between you and the equipment in areas not covered by clothing, like under your head and neck.

Remember that you're going to be assuming positions that not only don't lend themselves to modesty but greatly increase the likelihood of "wardrobe malfunction." Shorts that are plenty long enough when you stand in front of the mirror may not be long enough for working out and this is just one example of a clothing choice that will have other gym users looking about at the wall and the ceiling and anywhere to avoid staring at YOUR immodesty. Don't put other others into the awkward position of being embarrassed for you.

Cover your armpits when you're outside the cardio area. This goes for ladies too. No matter how much your pits may be deodorized, shaved, scented, or otherwise well groomed, they are still arm pits. Once you've finished with running on the treadmill and cool-down, put your shirt back on.

• 4 years ago

I wear a t-shirt - either a black t-shirt or an MMA t-shirt - I wear shorts, but it usually is a pair of swim trunks - I usually wear the black swim trunks when I work out and the colored one when I go to the pool. I wear black socks and black athletic shoes. I guess other people would prefer other colors but I usually wear black. I'm not really a goth or anything but that's how I normally dress. And I think it is ok to wear black clothing to the gym and if they aren't happy with it I guess it's their problem, but nobody has said anything to me about it. nothing outlandish at all. just plain clothing. I'm trying to wear something comfortable to exercise in, I am not trying to win any style contests. Usually it is because I have to wear black clothes to work and I already have my black socks and shoes on, so I just change a few things and I'm good to go when I'm at the gym. The gym I go to has a lot of rules with clothes, but I've never had a problem. my clothes are just ordinary. some people are trying to impress other people. I'm still basically what you would call a disabled person. I'm a lot older than a lot of the other people there so the clothing style doesn't matter that much to me. If I could find clothes to fit me, I'd wear MMA related clothing and if I can ever lose any weight that is what I would buy. I'm just trying to get in and out without injuring myself further.

• 4 years ago

I don't think there's a specific way to dress. I'd say anything that you can work out in comfortably. Wear something that can't get caught on anything especially on something like the treadmill belt (bell bottom yoga pants, etc). At the gym I see people wearing a variety of things, some wear black tones as to not attract too much attention and others wear bright colors, very flashy and revealing clothes. Really, it's up to you what you wear but be comfortable and try not to be TOO flashy!

• 4 years ago

(Female perspective here)

Top - Nothing fancy. When I went to the gym, I would usually wear a cheap Nike shirt I found on clearance at Burlington Coat Factory or Ross. Something I'd probably wouldn't worry about sweating in.

Bottoms - Athletic shorts. I really like the shorts with the spandex layer attached to it, but I've also gone in basketball shorts and any other breathable articles like that.

Shoes - Nothing too expensive, just some sneakers I probably also found on clearance at Ross or Burlington.

Hair - Tied, I'd never go to the gym with my hair down.

• James M.
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

Cheating scumbag. Cut-and-paste of an earlier answer. Pathetic.

Lv 5
    4 years ago

Women:

Stretchy shorts, leggings, yoga pants, or even basketball shorts will do just fine. A t shirt or tanktop, if it's cold maybe sweats with jogging sweater. Or whatever it's called. Idk..lol. Nice good shoes made for running or if you're into lifting get shoes that will help out your feet balance better. Don't wear makeup. It's tacky and kinda looks weird cuz you'll be sweating and it'll just melt off your face anyway. I mean you can wear mascara but I dunno. It's not like guys will be staring at your face the whole time. Lol

Men

Shorts or sweatpants is fine. A t shirt or if you want to show off your working progress then wear a muscle tee. Again, running shoes will be great for cardio, but there's also other shoes that help out with lifting and all that sorts.

Never wear jeans and I suggest you don't wear vans or chucks to the gym. It hurts your shins after a while.

Source(s): Don't wear anything fancy or try to look your best. You're at a gym not on a catwalk stage.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.