Claire
Claire asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 years ago

How to not have a panic attack or to stop it when it happens?

I dated a guy for a year that was abusive to me. When I left him I cut him off of my life. But, this semester we ended up sharing a class. Every time that he is physically close to me and tries to interact with me, whether it is by shooting me a message online or actually talking to me, I get panic attacks. Even though mentally, I am serene and relax, my body just freaks out and I can't really do anything about it while I am in class.

• Rick

When you have to interact with him you feel threatened. Your body reacts this way because your brain is telling it there's a very threatening situation happening. You might not even realize you perceive him as a danger to you.

The way to deal with this is to tell yourself that there's no danger. This will stop your body from reacting so strongly. This is a very effective coping skill.

Don't believe you need to interact with him if you don't want to. It's okay for you to choose not to.

I would try to ask if you can take another class that period and maybe go to the teacher and tell them to see if they can help in any way.