What does forgiveness really mean?

I really struggle with this idea of forgiveness it is like people in the church instantly tell someone they are to forgive someone who does something terrible as if what has happened isn't anything. for example someone's husband was gunned down in front of them and they were critically injured and... show more I really struggle with this idea of forgiveness it is like people in the church instantly tell someone they are to forgive someone who does something terrible as if what has happened isn't anything. for example someone's husband was gunned down in front of them and they were critically injured and hospitalized for 6 months and people told them that they just needed to forgive them doesn't it take time doesn't it take time for someone to recover from the trauma of what happened? isn't it normal to feel anger towards a person who has cost you greatly? I think it is so unfair in our society that our culture treats the criminals better than they do the ones who are the victims of a crime and that often the victim pays a huge price for someone else's crime.
3 answers 3