If my parents are from Jamaica but I'm from Georgia in the U.S, does that mean I'm Jamaican?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Everyone in the U.S. has both a nationality (U.S.) and a heritage or ethnicity. "Jamaican" is obviously not a race, but it is your cultural heritage- so it probably affects the foods you grew up with, what you do on holidays, etc. You can choose how to identify yourself. There may be some cases where it's advantageous to you to identify yourself as belonging to a minority. If you ever look into your ancestry, you'll probably be able to trace it back to Africa and other places.

• 4 years ago

You're Jamaican American.

• 4 years ago

No, you are American.

To be Jamaican means being born in Jamaica and living the culture.

• 4 years ago

If you were born in the US, you are American with Jamaican Ancestry.If you were born in Jamaica, you are Jamaican.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

If your parents are Jamaican citizens, you are as well. But also American so you would hold dual citizenship were you to get Jamaican citizenship papers.

• 4 years ago

Well by ancestry yes. But remember that you are both American and Jamaican! You get to decide which side to express more!

• 4 years ago

You are an American with Jamaican ancestry.

• 4 years ago

Your nationality is American, but your race is Jamaican. So, yes, you're Jamaican.

• 4 years ago

Yes. You were just born in Georgia.

• 4 years ago

you are where your father is from. You technically Jamiacan. My young brother was born in US in 1996 and consider himself as Somali where his father was born.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.